Monday, January 9, 2012

Design Wall / BOM's Away Monday

Continuing with my Mug Rugs, I got two Christmas Mug Rugs done (lame and late) and finished the piecing of the remaining CU Mug Rugs. In the end I decided that the upper portion did not need to be exactly alike, the key was to get them finished! One was done completely improvisationally because I remembered there is also a part-time worker so needed to make one more and thought it a great opportunity to try some improvisational piecing.
















Skill Builder Sampler Block #2 - we were supposed to learn color values in this block.


Alaska 2007 Shop Hop Block #1 - there will be lots of trees and stars! So fun to get started on something new. This block is called Whispering Pine and was at Quilts of Many Colors in Wasilla, AK. I went to Alaska for the first time back in 1995, but returned in 2007 to attend a friend's wedding in Seward. I discovered a quilt shop while hanging out in Seward for a few days and their Shop Hop was underway. It motivated me to try and get to other shops in locations that I would be during that trip which included the Anchorage area and north to Denali. Wasilla is on the way! I don't think I actually made it to this particular shop based on the information I found today on the web, but for all the places I didn't get to, I called and had them ship me the block! More than one way to accomplish a shop hop. Each block had to be purchased, so add some shipping and it arrived in my mailbox.


oh...and I did the Block Lotto block for our local quilt guild.
King's Crown ...scrappily ;-)


Other Design Walls @ Patchwork Times and BOM's Away progress @ What A Hoot Quilts.


2 comments:

  1. I've made the Alaska Shop Hop quilt...still needs to be quilted. I absolutely loved the trees! I didn't like some of the fabric choices...in particular the batiks for one of the tress were too close in value and when I got the block done it was just a muddy mess...all the work on matching points didn't matter. So I redid many blocks in my own fabric choices...but that's a pretty standard practice for everyone. I look forward to seeing your version...and your quilting design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Marlene. :) I just love how you also have multiple projects going. I find it exciting and entertaining to be able to rotate amongst a variety of works. I also love having a circle of projects in various stages so that at any given point I have something just-about-done waiting to be that month's big finish.

    ReplyDelete