Friday, June 10, 2016

Heartwarming - Row by Row Experience 2016


Introducing Heartwarming my 2016 Row by Row Experience (TM) design and some extra contests at the end.

This year's Row by Row Experience(tm) theme is 'Home Sweet Home'. I've created our vertical 'row' (ok, its a column now!), Heartwarming. I personally think of home back in California where I grew up with a fire going in the fireplace on a rainy or cold day. That was home sweet home to me. As my husband described a rocking chair and a quilt over the back I was concerned that there was more applique than I was comfortable with designing.  I love using EQ7 and as an EQ Artist #EQ25 I should be very skilled at using it right? But drawing applique isn't really my forte. I drew the idea up onto a white board, realized it wasn't a very good 'to scale' representation, but took a photo and tried to draw it in EQ7. I didn't get very far when I remembered I had worked via the internet with Marian at Seams to be Sew last summer on EQ7: Seasons a Seasonal Row-a-long project. So, I asked her if she'd be willing to draw it up in EQ7. From the EQ project file that she created, I then evolved it into more piecing elements where appropriate and got it down to the chair, fire, rug, hearts, yarn ball and the quilt that would need to be appliqued. I had several heart and ball or elliptical shapes in my Accuquilt dies. So chose two that I could pre-fuse and cut myself as quantities were required. The rug is an easy enough shape and everyone can easily create something that doesn't have to be round and can be pinned to the row and stitched down in the quilting. The quilt I decided would be easier to create as a mini-quilt and topically apply it to the row. The chair and fire I decided to try something new for my shop and get them pre-fused and laser cut by Quilter's Paradise.

I'm so excited that the kit makes it super easy to put this together and yet you can customize it as much as you'd like. Here are some additional customization ideas....

Instead of the fabric and heart in the picture frame on the wall, why not print a photo of your family or your pet. Or color the framed fabric into a scheme that will coordinate with whatever fabrics you use to create your remaining items.

Instead of a yarn ball on the floor, how about a  rubber ducky or a cat? Maybe just a bunch of marbles.

The quilt could be done with scraps or in any design.

Now for the fun part -- Row by Row Experience(tm) this year is June 21 - September 6, 2016. Stop by my studio during these dates at 301 Main Street, Grand Coulee, WA to get a free pattern or purchase as many kits as you'd like and they will include the pattern.

 Purchase this FabricPlate(tm) MY STASH IS LGL here.

Kits for the Row by Row Experience - Home Sweet Home 2016 - Heartwarming are also available for pre-order for shipping Nov. 1


I have re-kitted my Road Trip pattern in the 2016 coordinating Map and Plate fabrics from Timeless Treasures along with the black (Pearl Essence) and brick (RJR) fabrics. The design gives you the opportunity to include the FabricPlate with its respective row and create the idea of an actual road trip. Get eight row patterns and their plate on your own, complete the rows into 9 1/2" x 36 1/2" unfinished sizes and then add the borders. The road is actually an illusion of a special fabric that I have in the kit, pieced down on either side of the center to give it the white dashes.

I have also made up more kits of my 2015 Row w/pattern Grand Coulee Dam Laser Light Show and sell those in studio or via shipment.

Will you be the first finished quilt into my shop?  - 25 fat quarters if you are and a bonus if it includes my Heartwarming row. Here is Last Year's Winner

Update: 7-Jul-2016 Winner is Karren Pynsia

EXTRA CONTESTS:
Bring in your pieced Heartwarming row to our Fall in Love Shop Hop, Sept 22, 23 or 25 and I'll give you a free fat quarter or 1/4 yard cut.

Post a photo of it by adding it to this Heartwarming Flickr group  that will be available September 7-25, 2016 or bring it into the shop and I'll post it for you. Everyone can vote for their favorite Sept 26-30, 2016. Prizes will be given to favorites. Creativity Reigns!


We look forward to seeing you this summer!

Note: An on-line Row-a-long "The Road Home" will start September 6, come back then to my blog for details and a new row--defined differently than the ones above.

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping to be coming by on the 1st week of the Row by Row. I have a retreat in Leavenworth. May as well make the loop, right? Nice of Marian to help you with your row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if I lived in Washington, I'd be RIGHT there to get that license plate and row! I love your row design, and that license plate tickles me. I love your layout for the rows and license plates, too. I hope you have a great rowing summer! desertskyquilts.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete