Sunday, November 11, 2018

9 and counting

Who would have thought I'd make it out of my room in the house with my new little company and Gammill Optimum+ machine 9 years ago to have a quilt shop/studio in Grand Coulee, WA on the Main Street? Well, it's true! We've survived and here is a little recap of this year's work on my machine.

This Year:     46 Customer Quilts
63% Pantos, 30% Custom; 7% edge to edge from the front

Pantographs : 3.8  (#/mo)    Custom : 1.67 (#/mo)

Business to date: 605 Customer Quilts

Publications: Schiffer -- Inspired by Elvis 
My quilt, inspired by the song, You Ain't Nothing but a Hound Dog is included in a chapter that showcases many quilts inspired by the same song.






















Quilting Sample:


Shop Fabric Samples  --fabrics available on the website:



 
 







Awards: - Fly Free - Juried into AQS Virginia Beach, VA 2018
                                                                        Special Award - Lincoln Co., WA Fair 2018
  

Various other quilts were submitted to the Lincoln Co., WA Fair and received blue ribbons.


Commissions:
When a potential commission client was losing his father, I was inspired to create this regardless of design approvals. Fortunately it was well received.     T-shirt quilt for a local h.s. graduate. 


Christmas Tree Skirt


Vintage embroidered linens used to make a wallhanging.


Designs on Request:  Need a design? I'll create a custom concept for you or extend one of my own designs to a size that you'd like. Always honored to be asked and be a part of helping you create treasures. The Whispers of Wisdom quilt (lower right) is now available as a pattern and a kit.

 Here I've put together a queen size version of Mi Amore using the beautiful Toscana fabrics, a Jinny Beyer print and sateen ombre for middle border. The sateen ombres from several yeras ago are being reprinted and are scheduled to be available in December.

After many years of handprints from 'auntie summer camp' a dear friend needed some advice in putting these milestones together into a quilt. Great job!
                                                                         Whispers of Wisdom --kit/pattern now available
 

Teaching: This year I did the Skill Builder sequence again ...always great to see the progress of each student, including two teenagers.









My own result from the first 3 chapters: 


Two-Fabric Bargello
This quilt represents why I do this....presented to my 3rd and 4th grade teacher --I was in her first class as a teacher, she retired this year after 44 years at the same school. Fun to create a moment to gather available classmates and have a lunch with her and give her this quilt with a big checkmark!
 


SHARP Summer Program - Piano Keys - Row by Row Experience Jr row


Fall Table Runner


Table Topper - Octagon


RAL: - My Happy Place - For several years I have participated in a Row-along that Marian Pena hosts from Seams to be Sew. This year I added a purchasable kit besides the free pattern and sold out! Some coordinating fabrics are still available on the website and in the shop.



Retreat: - Hayden Lake, Idaho - the second retreat is complete and we had a wonderful time. This year I opened it up to tutorials, including Rondure--10 sessions ...an intensive for sure; Puzzle Box for charity and Quilts of Valor. (designs will be shared at the end of year WIP report) Some just brought lots of their own projects and enjoyed the opportunity to have meals prepared (Breakfast and Supper ---these were vegetarian with vegan and gluten free options available, additional food sensitivities and needs were well accomodated as pre-arranged). The range of ethnic foods prepared were truly amazing.

 

This year I also got to quilt one of my customer's versions of the on-point variation.



Bags of Love/It's My Very Own - Adapted Puzzle Box pattern  (quilt on right --all fabrics available)

 
The group from last year each made a lob cabin block and I assembled them with a panel, quilted Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you..." and presented the quilt to the retired Dir of Operations, Bruce Christensen, who envisioned the concept of using the space as a quilter's retreat center and was willing to let us give it a try. A few returned this year and one came for the presentation.  Quilt design is available with a print fabric where the 'tan' is, as a kit on the website.
 


Country Register - continuing to write ...do you read my articles? This year I got to see some full circle moments from articles years ago that have inspired others to create particular quilts. One attended my retreat and took the tutorials to make Rondure. So fun!

Market Releases /Distribution
Cusco Alley; Spirit Butterfly; Sea Dance
Hancock's of Paducah and several local quilt shops

Patterns available on the new website

 May 2018 International Quilt Market, Portland, OR -- included opportunities to share Spirit Butterfly and other quilt designs using Bella Nonna Design Studio Boondoggle Rulers on Demo Alley.






















Additional New Designs - patterns available on the new website
 



Row by Row - choosing an iconic album cover that is also the principal of refraction made for a sought after design by many who like Pink Floyd or just like the physics concept. Thanks to all who bought a kit and helped others get theirs too. Past year kits are still available. Check out my new online website at www.kissedquilts.com

 

Large orders came in via 'rowers' willing to ship to others across the country who couldn't make the trek to Grand Coulee.

Shops aren't allowed to ship on their own until Nov. 1 .....even those requests have now shipped. Thanks for all who participated this year. Grateful this principle of refraction has a following from Pink Floyd fans.


 

Here is my Row by Row Jr. Winner--all Jr. completed rows received a ribbon.












New Website w/shopping cart --yes it's true! Given my rural location, I have jumped into the online world and made most of my inventory available online. I hope this will encourage you to make an appointment to stop by the shop or just order online for easy pickup at the shop or ship it to your doorstep. I do have more product on order for this new winter season and hope you'll continue to consider what my shop has to offer.

Health - Continuing my gluten-free and dairy-free plan and with a recent IgG4 test showing almonds need to be avoided ...I've now added that to my list of foods I'm avoiding. Hoping this will kick me off my plateau and keep me headed towards a better body. I'm feeling good, just want to be right sized and avoid long-term health effects that could happen due to long-term prescription use. I've been able to lower some Rx and plan to change to a supplement vs. a prescription for the other. Still a work in progress, but grateful for a new to me OB/GYN who is alongside me in this pursuit of my health.

This year I did the Title 9 5K in Spokane along with my cousin and a young girl --something Title 9 is inspiring us to encourage young girls to participate in sport. She was also one of my students, so this was fun to bring all of my interests together.


 So, that's a wrap on 9 years of my business .....long-arm machine quilting and the diversification my business now includes.

Thanks for following along. If I can be of service, please contact me.

#GammillGirl  www.kissedquilts.com

2 comments: