Friday, August 2, 2019

Christmas Collection Blog Hop - Finale

On our last day on the blog hop, we're featuring the Christmas Friends Throw. This quilt uses the 'friendship star' block as it's primary focus.



Thermore batting and some custom quilting on this little 'mini' quilt which is just one block from Nancy's design.



 
Had to show you the back too!


All Island Batik fabrics. #islandbatik


Note: if you want to make the whole quilt, the last two cutting instructions aren't both 'white'; one set should be green. The result was this simple mug rug using all Island Batik fabrics that will be a
perfect gift for a friend.

And a tip:  Half Square Triangles (HSTs) - once you sew both sides of the diagonal, cut down the center and then trim the triangle so that the seam lines hit 2.5". The sizes given, if you sew a perfect scant seam, should be correct--but if you oversize it to start with you'll need to trim it down or if your seam got too small you'll need to trim it down. If you oversize your seam, the square will be too small..so be careful!


You may have seen I also did the Mistletoe Magic Pillow earlier this week, but I really wanted to show you a project I did some time ago using the friendship star block.


While in temporary housing before moving to our current home, the guild I would be leaving had a block lotto of the Friendship Star. I made a couple of sets and won the drawing so ended up with even more. I made a few more to make up this quilt, worked in EQ to come up with a design and found various pine fabrics to use in the sashings, cornerstones and setting triangles in my stash and finally purchased fabric for the border. #electricquilt




 Notice that the red and green have such similar values that they both can be used as the 'alternate' block to the light backgrounds. I did try to set the actual blocks with some symmetry. Some had fabrics that were the same motif but different colors.

 hanaging off the porch at our new place before quilting!



























The leftover border gave me this little runner using the 'one block wonder' technique with filler triangles to set them apart:


While looking for a picture of this last one, I found several other Christmas themed pieces I've made so thought I'd share them as part of this 'finale'.

A mystery from the Walla Walla Valley Quilt Guild and an early 'quilted on my domestic' piece.


Mug rugs for a guild swap

My first Island Batik Ambassador Blog Hop ....Christmas Hay Stack (ornaments can be changed to other seasonal items) ...it was a 'Country Summer' but the fabrics I was given were a lot of Christmas theme, so tried to come up with something that would work.


Another Island Batik Ambassador Challenge - adapted from EQ Heidi Kory - Heartfelt Holiday


Poorhouse Designs Wreath using Island Batik fabrics.
 Poorhouse Designs Ornament (pattern and forms available in the shop for various designs)

A simple ornament wallhanging - from Christmas Caroling RAL. Digital Download available.


A few other Christmas themed recent finishes:

Holly Berries in the Snow - out my back deck, a block lotto win from years ago required a few more to be made. I got inspired last Dec. when I needed some of the fabric curated for these 'extra' blocks, so cut out the blocks and was able to use the remaining fabrics for the next project.

This was the result of using the fabrics, the Peppermint Table Topper. Here you can see my edge to edge within the pinwheels stitchout


I also taught a class late last year to make this table topper or tree skirt (add a slit).


And the I Wish You a Merry QAL from 2017
...finally got it quilted last week and bound this week in time to show you!
I'm calling it Stars of the Season. This uses all Island Batik fabrics and was quilted with the Dancing Snowflakes pantograph design. I am a hand guided Gammill Opt+ quilter.





Lots of ideas for Christmas themed items that can be used around the house. I hope you're inspired!

How to find me?
Instagram @marlene.kissedquilts
Facebook /kissedquilts
website - signup for my about monthly newsletter
blog - kissedquilts.blogspot.com -- are you following along?

Check out other project versions today at

             Anorina Morris Samelia's Mum
             Ellen Ault  Handmade 3d
             Maryellen McAuliffe Mary Mack Made Mine

Thanks to Nancy at Masterpiece Quilting for putting this bloghop together! Check out her post for a giveaway!

#islandbatik #EQ

4 comments:

  1. I love all of your Christmas projects. I had to laugh when you said you just finished your Christmas Quilt. I joined that quilt along and just finished mine 3 weeks ago. I love it. Since then I quilted a Grandmother’s Garden Quilt and am now quilting a Circle Appliqué quilt. Reading blogs like yours is very inspiring to finish projects. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great and informative post. This can be a big help for me with my future project

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This puts me in the spirit! What a lovely collection of Christmas quilts. I especially love seeing your QAL quilt all finished! Thanks for sharing on my 300th Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete