Wednesday, October 23, 2024

WSQ Spokane Entries and 24 Karat Rondure's Final Show

 In this year's WSQ - Spokane Quilt Show - Art from the Heart - I entered five quilts. 

The pin (right) is given to the first 100 entrants. Unfortunately I didn't get one :( It is pretty cool though.

 


Given the theme of the show, I thought about quilts I've made with hearts in it ...and chose to enter these.

 

Love is in the Air -- this is a paper pieced heart (Wings of Love design by RaNae Miller) that I then did a french applique technique (stuffed) to apply it to the 'sky' and then put it in the sandwich and custom quilted it to look like a balloon floating up into the sky. I used all Island Batik fabrics. It is one of my favorite small pieces. 




The Together Quilt -- a moda Stitch Pink initiative from 2021 by A Quilting Life, Sherri McConnell using Sincerely Yours fabrics - some available here. I started with a layer cake and sashing and background fabrics. I decided to split the layer cake into two colorways (red/pink and salmon/purple) and still have the salmon/purple colorway to play with! This made it a bit tricky in terms of using the pattern, but that is a type of challenge that I love! Quilted with Pieces of my Heart pantograph (hand guided). Super happy with the result.


This quilt just hasn't been seen locally much since it was on tour for several years when it got held onto during C* so it could continue its originally anticipated tour.


First Class - my interpretation of the "Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dog' song, originally recorded by Peacock Records and later recorded by Elvis. This was included in the curated collection by 

Donna Marcinkowski DeSoto and compiled into a book published by Schroeder --available here. Thanks to Karen P. for the use of her dog die (actual profile of one of her dogs) and Linda R. for connecting me with real peacock feathers. There are Liberty of London peacock fabrics used too in the hat. I found the bunny tail on the road during one of my walks.


This quilt won a ribbon at our county fair last year, so I decided to put it into a bigger show. I was disappointed that they didn't pin it right, so it ended up being folded under on the bottom.

Spirit Butterfly -  This features the Spirit Rhythm collection from Island Batik by Jayme Crowe of Bella Nonna Designs. She also designed the Boondoggle rulers used to cut this diamond like shape. The Spirit Butterfly pattern is available. 

Here is the whole quilt:

 

I think it would be great made up with Free Spirit - Kaffe Fasset fabrics. Here (right above) is the original that I collaborated with Verlie W. to make ..we called it Fly Free.

The final quilt to share with you is 24 Karat Rondure. This is a collaboration with Nancy C. 


This quilt design started in a reverse design (left). During the 2011 McCalls Quilt Design Star Challenge, Round 1 issued traditional blocks – Arrowhead and Shoo-fly – and we were challenged to create something using just the two blocks. I skewed them on the golden ratio creating this feeling like you’re looking into an opulent dome. 

The original version felt like an ‘old dome’, but my husband came up with the word Rondure ….it is the French word for graceful sphere. Cock your head to one side and see how it changes your perspective.

You’ll find more versions at the hashtag #rondurequilt. You can also get the Rondure pattern at KISSed Quilts.

After making several original versions, my friend Nancy was interested in making the first inverted version. Together we curated Jinny Beyer fabrics. Nancy made the center portion. Years went by and I did the borders A few more years went by and I started quilting it. Another year or so to complete it and finally do the binding. It was then ready for show! Nancy named it 24 Karat Rondure for the 24 blue gems. 

This quilt has been on the show circuit for the past 2 years. This is likely its final show outing and it came home with some pretty ribbons!

 

So, here is where 24 Karat Rondure has been the last two years:

2022
AQS - Daytona Beach - juried in
AQS - Branson - juried in
AQS - Paducah - juried in
AQS - Grand Rapids - juried in
AQS - Des Moines - juried in

2023
Road to California - juried in
Greenville, SC Quilt Fest - juried in
Spring Fling - Odessa, WA - People's Choice
Minnesota Quilt Show - 1st Place in category
Pacific International Quilt Fest - juried in
Lincoln County WA Fair - Superintendent's Award - Large Quilts
Pennsylvania National Quilt Fest - juried in, Awarded Best Interpretation of Theme, Innovative
WSQ Spokane - 2nd Place in category

WSQ Spokane - Category: Machine Quilted, Freehand, Duo, Large category

Here are the 1st and 3rd place ribbons in the same category:


Other results included: 

I quilted this one for Laura S. She entered "Forever Yours" in the General, Novelty, or Combination of Techniques category and received a 1st Place Ribbon. Congrats! And thanks for entrusting this beauty with me for the quilting.


Best of Show - Artichoke Bloom



I'm sure that the WSQ Spokane website will soon have all the winners posted. Honored to be included this year.

Hope you enjoyed this tour. Do you enter your quilts in shows? I hope you've been inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment