Tuesday, January 30, 2018

City Windows Featuring Island Batik's Autumn's Grace Collection




Autumn’s Grace – City Windows

This beautiful collection has 30 pieces. I wanted to show off all of the pieces and was inspired by the house I used to live at in San Francisco, built in 1927. It has beautiful arts and crafts architecture of the time with wooden moldings and interesting glass panes in the door ways. When I went searching online for something Stickley or Arts and Crafts or Craftsman like, I found Amy Smart’s Craftsman quilt.

I wanted to maximize the use of the fat quarter and show off the beautiful designs, so chose not to use her specific design but go my own direction. 

Here is the result.
Fat Quarter Friendly – regardless of direction of the fabric, you can choose to cut it up and maximize a fat quarter to make this quilt. Based on how big you’d like your quilt will directly depend upon how many fat quarters you need.  These blocks are 17”x 17” finished. I used a 1” finished sashing in the block and between blocks. I also used the same sashing fabric as the binding. Another idea is to use a bit of the leftovers from the fat quarters as a scrappy binding.

I've put together requirements for 11 different sizing configurations below.


# of Fat quarters (layout) finished size; Sashing/border/binding fabric requirements:
6 FQ ( 2 x 3 ) 37” x 55”; 1.125 yds
9 FQ (3 x 3) 55” x 55”; 1.375 yd
12 FQ (3 x 4) 55” x 73”; 1.75 yds
15 FQ (3 x 5) 55” x 91”; 2 yds
16 FQ (4 x 4) 73” x 73”; 2 yds
18 FQ (3 x 6) 55” x 109”; 2.25 yds
20 FQ (4 x 5) 73” x 91”; 2.5 yds
21 FQ (3 x 7) 53” x 125”; 2.5 yds
24 FQ (4x6) 73” x 109”; 2.75 yds
25 FQ (5x5) 91” x 91”; 2.875 yds
30 FQ (5 x 6) 91” x 109”; 3.125 yds





I used some of the leftover bits from the fat quarters to increase the size of my wide-back so it was large enough for the 30 block quilt.



Quilted it with a beautiful YLI variegated thread--Aspen Gold--and the "Curly Maple" pantograph. I used Warm & Natural for the batting.


Want a PDF download of this pattern? You'll find it at my Craftsy page NOW for FREE -- TODAY ONLY,  and can purchase a hard copy or PDF download starting February 1 at my new website www.kissedquilts.com.

Hope you enjoyed this inspiration and the introduction to these beautiful Autumn’s Grace Fabrics from Island Batik.

This is my final 'new design' IBA post for this season. Each week of this blog hop I've done a visual recap of the season, so I'll add one at the end of this week to do a final wrap up.
Winter Spring  Summer ...and to come...Fall.

It has been a great opportunity to share these beautiful fabrics, I hope you’ve enjoyed my projects for the past three years. I'm looking forward to using my time on other projects that have been percolating in my brain. 

Did you miss my Alpine Ice, City Culture 2 or Pumpkin Patch posts?

I will have new designs coming out with Island Batik at Spring Market. I hope you'll follow me via my newsletter, blog, instagram or Facebook and look for my articles in your local Country Register.

#islandbatikambassador #islandbatik #thebestfrombali #fourseasonsbloghop #electricquilt #autumnsgrace

Giveaways also available directly from Island Batik.


33 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I think the choice to use the same fabric for the binding and the sashing was perfect. It really gives the impression of an apartment building with windows everywhere. Thank you for your generosity. I love collecting fat quarters and this will be a fun design to work on. Have an amazing week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is gorgeous! It reminds me of Tiffany stained glass. Thank you so much for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is gorgeous. thanks for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful quilt Marlene. It definitely reminds me of stained glass. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely see how you came up with the quilt name. It is a lovely quilt and will look wonderful on a bed. I can see it with deep rust coloured pillows. Thank you so much for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love the fabrics and the name does fit your quilt perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is beautiful and a lovely use of the fabric. Thank you for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt, fabrics, and quilt motif. In fact, I've liked all your quilts in this blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just lovely. Thanks for sharing the pattern today too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! Great way of showing off the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the pattern. Beautiful quilt, and great photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for offering this pattern today . . . It will make a wonderful scrap quilt for some of the beautiful scraps I have!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pattern is beautiful and write-up is great! Thanks for the free pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great design for FQs. So glad you've been an Ambassador. I've loved seeing your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marlene you do beautiful work. This quilt is awesome and so full of color. I can see this on my bed anytime. I hope you are staying on as IBA designer. I would love to see more of what you design.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, beautiful quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another beautiful quilt - aren't these fabrics wonderful! Thank you for sharing, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really shows off this wonderful collection. Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your quilt and thank you so much for the free pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Quilt is Absolutely GORGEOUS!! Thank you sooo much for sharing the Pattern too! Ohio Hugs!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful quilt! The colors are so warm and welcoming. Great that it’s FQ friendly.

    usairdoll (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene.. I went to Craftsy to download your free pattern and it’s showing $5.00. It was free through today, the 30th, correct? Or did I goof? ;-D
      Thanks!!

      Delete
  22. I love this and the colors are gorgeous.ty for free pattern. .happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern. I love quilts that resemble stained glass, and when batiks are combined with the right design, it can hit a beautiful note, which this one does!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome- the photos with the trees shows off the pattern beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pattern really shows off each batik really well. Very nice pattern and quilt. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The sashing in this quilt really makes the blocks pop! What a great pattern to show of these beautiful fabrics. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love your quilt. Very nice. I guess that'll teach me for being sick since I missed the pattern. Have it on my ever growing wish list though.

    ReplyDelete