Monday, February 20, 2012

{Sew} Modern / Design Wall / BOM's Away Monday



My {Sew} Modern finish is another version of Charmed Network. I've written an entire post from this weekend about the quilting on this.This is featuring the fabric line 'Eva' by Basic Grey for MODA. I started teaching this class last week at Stash. I had a lot of fun quilting this. I find myself taking a fair amount of time deciding what to quilt, once I stitch one or two of the repeating designs I'm then kind of bored with it and wish it was done already. At that point, I'm easily distracted by other things going on in my life. Glad to finally get this done. I know my customers will be glad to have their quilts back on my table!

BOM's Away --here is my Alaska 2007 Shop Hop -Mountain Pines from Seward. note: color#7 was not provided with sufficient fabric, so I pulled from my stash a bit. I was in Seward to attend a wedding in 2007 and enjoyed staying at a hotel right in the harbor. The Kenai fjords were beautiful. The quilt shop in town had wonderful regional print fabrics.

I didn't get anything posted last week, so I pressed on and got caught up.



Here is my Pam Bono's 'Out of the Darkness' - Block #2 - Patriotism's Eternal Bloom --now I'm not sure what that flower is, are you? But I love the striking contrast of these colors. I went with the medium/dark green combo in the leaves rather than the light/medium combo called for. I've also changed the fabrics provided in the kit from the shop I purchased this BOM, so that I have all batiks except the background and with a brightness to the fabrics that I prefer. Sorry that the pic is a little blurry. The one I took with flash had a shadow in a weird way.




No Skill Builder's yet, even from last week...we'll see how we go this week. If I get anything done, I'll post on WIP Wednesday.

Design Wall - my Rose of Sharon 'bird' block....how to applique the pieces down and what type of borders/framing shall I give it. The applique pieces are currently fused in place. I am thinking of a 'window' effect for the framing. wdyt? The image on the left is from the original EQ - Rose of Sharon design contest that made it into the Nine Patch Media DVD. On the right is the version I've created enlarging it to a 15" block with batiks from my stash and a sky like background so it looks like it is in flight.














I've mocked up an idea in EQ7. Not sold on it yet...any other ideas? I wanted to create something that would look like you were inside a thick walled structure and looking out through a small window to see the bird flying by.



So.....Ireland?? Are you going??

Check out other Design Walls, BOM's Away progress and {Sew} Modern finishes.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - some striking blocks there, Marlene. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilting on that blue striped piece. Love your applique also. I thought that was a Pam Bono block - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks! I love the batiks!

    ReplyDelete