Tuesday, August 28, 2012

BOM's Away Monday

Progress on my Skill Builder Sampler includes #31 and 32 blogged about last Wednesday.

But now #33 and 34.

 A mini-loan star. Very pleased with my results on this one. I've got one a little larger than this I've been working on for a couple of years (or have it sitting because I just didn't like the results on my Y seams). This one lays pretty flat and I haven't even ironed it yet. I was careful to finger press --I find using my finger nail and the seam between my nail and finger to work really well--the seams as I went along.

Surveyor's Compass. Paper Pieced. I drafted this myself in EQ7 and thought the yellow bits were circular. On closer examination, they could have been straight. So four sections are sewn trying to get a curve (not much) and the other four I sewed straight across. Not really possible to paper piece a curve without cutting the fabric on a curve so it will lay right.I also intentionally oriented the furthest back spike to angle away from the center for the background (red) fabric connection. This helped me to find a way to start with the largest background piece, then the two smallest spike sections, then the smaller background piece; then the yellow, then the middle spike half section, then the largest/foreground spike half section.
 
Using a background with small hearts that are printed so orderly give an optical illusion to the background that I would rather not have, but it is what it is. On to the last 2!

More at WhataHoot Quilts!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful star blocks! I'm a big fan of finger pressing.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for making the mini lone star and Mariner's Compas. I need to take an EQ class when you offer one around here. I have troubles making the blocks I want to draw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I think it's really cool how the effect comes off on that mariner's star. :) Great mini-loan star.

    ReplyDelete