Key Areas of Time spent being:
- Shop Owner - KISSed Quilts in Grand Coulee, WA
- entire Northcott Toscana line 135 fabrics; total of 500 fabrics including wide backs
- Aurifil thread: some 40 wt; mostly 50 wt and always the basics in large cones too.
- pantographs start at 1.5 cents per square inch (psi)
- customs will change from psi to $25 per hour as of 2017.
- Minimum $50 per project
- thread charges - solid $3; variegated $5; specialties $8
- max in smallest dimension is 96"
- Note: I like to work with each piece individually and make sure the quilting enhances it
- Teacher - classes held in nearby classroom space
- Island Batik Ambassador - monthly challenges resulting in many completions you'll see below
- Island Batik Designer - 4 new designs this year w/IB
- Country Register columnist - an article every other month ...picked up by many regional versions
- EQ Artist --I try to highlight how EQ was used in my designs and write tutorials occasionally
So making samples of new designs or old designs in new fabrics or just because I want to make something..... looks like this:
from last year's list:
Geese on the Run (fabrics from Sweet Georgia Peach collection) for Island Batik Winter blog hop; a joint project w/my mom piecing some of it.
- SOLD to Helen this summer when she saw it in the shop as a sample and just had to have it.
Heartfelt Holiday - a design by Heidi Kory of EQ ....adapted to include IslandBatik fabrics and one Maywood Studio fabric for an Island Batik blog hop in February/March 2016. The framing of it to look like an old mounted photo is my own design.
Wreath or Center Piece for the table from Poor House Designs.
Self-binding Receiving Blanket and infinity scarf for the big sis! Baby was born New Year's Eve!
Puddle Jumpers and Here Fishy Fishy - my new to me niece and nephew! Coordinating pillows were made for each of them as well.
Betty Baerg's Poppy Quilt -- Besides quilting it as a customer quilt, I added the binding.
Free Flight (w/Linda Roberts) - another sample of Geese on the Run
Lake Roosevelt Jelly Roll (w/Linda Roberts) - Raffle Tickets available at basketball home games. There are now 3 different fabric choices in these team colors available at the shop.
Island Batik Ambassadors --- a collaborative effort for our company liaison - Katie ....and her new baby boy!
Lake Roosevelt Raiders - Summer SHARP program
Ready to Quilt
- Puddle jumpers take 1 - an adapted design from Tricia Cribbs/Turning Twenty/Friendfolks pattern Gimme 5. It is smaller than any on her pattern and I put a border print in the border and coordinating fabrics in the corners. All fabrics are available in my shop.
- A Ticket in Hand - with borders added. Panel fabric still available and a few of the other fillers. Let me know if you'd like this fun fabric --great if you're traveled to Europe and want to create a great memory or perhaps you have a young person who will head to Europe for university studies or summer travels.
- Road trip 2016 - my version of this year's Row by Row Experience horizontal and verticals combined. There will be topically applied elements both during the quilting process and after to complete this.
- 2016 North Central Washington Shop Hop - Come Fall into Love
- IB Mini Challenge - this is intended to be more than a quilted item, you'll have to wait!
Fall Wallhanging (from 2014 list!)
from 2015 list:
- Dogwood Limb (EQ Seasons RAL)
--to quilt or expand ??
- Red Border Print Placemats
- Lucky Pot of Gold or Ode to Ireland (a Mi Amore shamrock version) applique still to add.
- Baskets - WW Valley Quilt Guild 2006 BOM (pictured years ago! and my quilting designs for it continue to evolve)
- Lights! Camera! Quack! - a Donald Duck Action! cartoon inspired design (pieced by Donna E. and Betty B). Pattern available soon!
- Flag - a boondoggle sample (bonus pattern in Dangling Diamonds) pieced by Carol C.
- Flyover - a boondoggle sample (bonus pattern in Dangling Diamonds) pieced by Carol C.
- Cool Penguin, partly pieced by Julie Tapley - Country Register Pattern Sample
- Joint Secret Project w/Verlie Ward - Kaffe Fassett fabric, my Boondoggle Butterfly design
- Quilter's Fruit Loop --2015 Shop Hop sample (pieced by Nancy Cargo --may want to re-do grass/fencing sections due to a pattern difference from the original image)
- Camouflage Canopy (from tester);
- In Memory - a boondoggle sample (bonus pattern in Dangling Diamonds) - outer edges and border still needed
2016 Piecing Progress:
Sea Bubbles - a new Island Batik design to be released in May 2017 (here is a sneek peek!)
Little cars - with IB Fire Island -- an IBA challenge that I want to incorporate into something bigger. #Accuquilt die was used to cut these.
Raindrops --an IBA challenge that I want to incorporate into something bigger.
Labyrinth walk - a special design will be added in the borders that my husband developed.
2015 Row by Row - my own Columbia River story version --several rows have been made, but alas they are sitting waiting for more attention!
Out of the Darkness - Pam Bono
OLD LIST, once upon a time was publically listed as 'next items' but never got started and there are too many piles of fabric destined as a possible project to list here ;-)...ha!:
- Peace Park
- Snowflake/blizzard --except that I used some of the snowflakes as inspiration for the Cool Penguin design and in my "Protection from the Storm" several years ago
- 2007 Shop Hop the Blues - bow ties?
- 2009 Shop Hop the Blues - fall leaves?
- Electric City - a new 1892 Rondure version, stalled in 2015 but imminent--I hope--in 2016
- OWN - next up Pine Needles
- Metro Rings --I was able to make a decisions on the QSTs, so they will be different.
- Four Patch Flip- a spring result, but has been sitting there waiting for me to work on it.
- French Braid
Completed: 31 + 5 non quilted items + 5 joint projects
Started the year (2016) with WIP: 15 + 3 joint projects
New in 2016 WIP: 12 + 4 joint projects
Ended 2016 with WIP: 24 + 8 joint projects --yikes more than 2 per month if I want to get done what I've got going this year!
Note: projects for others, I quilted 46 edge to edge (pantograph designs or freehand) and 20 Custom. All were hand guided. Included in these numbers are joint projects that included 2 for charity, 1 group project and 2 were for store samples pieced by others (see joint projects above).
TOTAL: 97 !! quiltings (an average of 5.5 customer projects and 2.5 personal projects per month)
So what's next for 2017?
Jury is out on being an IBA next year, but for now, I'm going to give away this strip set of Tinsel (no email bloggers will not be considered), comment by Monday, January 9.
Leave me a comment as to designs that you like to work with or genres of fabric. You're also welcome to continue reading and provide any insights or advice.
I've got a lot on my plate (just look at that list of projects! HA!!!) Lots to consider as to how I spend my energy, but hope to just make the most of it and enjoy it all.
Next Island Batik event is a blog hop starting on January 6. Hope you'll be back to follow along and be inspired.
Here is to hoping that 2017 will be your best yet ...I found a variety of versions of this floating in the internet (EQ posted this version on their Facebook page) and I believe it whole heartedly!
UPDATE: 1/12/17 - Tinsel Strip set went to Lynne S. Congratulations!!