Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WIP

Progress
  • Rose of Sharon bird block wall hanging is now ready for quilting! Found some Stonehenge fabric for the final border--keeping it rustic ;-) This block was originally submitted as part of the 2009 Rose of Sharon block challenge coordinated through Nine Patch Media and EQ. It was selected to be included in the NPM DVD that can be purchased separately. My basket block was included in the book. Nice to finally make this up in real fabric (the challenge was only created within EQ) and design some borders to accompany it. The block is 15" x 15", the whole quilt is about 37" x 37".


  • Skill Builder Sampler Update –major progress; individual blocks that I have made while here in California and then at the bottom there is a collage of the 3 sections I have now put together and their placement in the quilt.





Below is a mock-up of the final quilt sans unmade blocks. There will be 36 blocks in all. The center section is a surprise. I need to get home to create the center and two more rows at the bottom. Leila still has 3 blocks to 'issue' in this 'We Can Do It! Skill Builder Sampler quilt-a-long. It looks like this will wait until I return from Ireland to get finished up. I am learning things!! Happy to make this much progress while in California though. Our time is getting short just a couple more days and we'll be on the road again headed home in time to start the trip to Ireland.
  • Storm at Sea
Wanted to get a lot done on this....was making good progress last night and this morning, I have the big SIS blocks done (see photo) and the little SIS blocks almost done. Then I realized I was running out of my grey sateen as I was cutting the fabric for the diamond blocks. I'm hoping I have more at home, but have been thinking a re-design if I don't. Not sure what I'll get done this afternoon, so for now, check out my makeshift design wall with these curtains (yikes). Lots of pins required and I'm running out of those too (HA!).


Until Next Time
  • Pam Bono’s Out of the Darkness (ready for June block)
  • Oddie’s Wild Nature (O.W.N.)
  • Alaska 2007 Shop Hop (up to date through June)
  • Snowflake BOM win/Blizzard quilt

Waiting for Quilting

·       McCall’s Mystery Quilt – Spring Time; I pieced one of the McCall’s Mystery Quilt Backs that is ‘awaiting quilting’. Tried to use up my scraps from the quilt. Had to buy the bottom swatch of green and had fun matching it up to the left upper portion so that it looks seamless--got it pretty close.
·         McCall’s Mystery Quilt – Hot Jazz (backing needs to be made)
·         Irena Bluhm Colored Pencil Class Project –decided I need to do the background quilting before adding background coloring.
·         WWVQG 2006 Basket BOM



2012 Stats
Completed: 11
In Progress: 11
Planning To Start: 3 (Peace Park, Shop Hop the Blues 2007 & 2009) I'm going to put off these starts until I get some of the other small projects finished.

The next two WIP’s I’ll be in Ireland---follow along via my blog. I'll do a post daily or as often as I have wifi!
**NEWS**
**I will be giving a lecture on EQ on Friday, June 8 at the International Quilt Festival of Ireland 2012. If you're there be sure and let me know that you follow my blog!
**Just got an email that "Spinner" was juried into the Pacific West Quilt Show which takes place in Tacoma, WA in August. A Semi-Finalist!! WHoo Hoo...Just honored to be included.

1 comment: