Sunday, October 4, 2015

Teal Mini Swap - Ovarian Cancer Awareness


As a small part in raising funds for Ovarian Cancer Research, I participated in the Teal Mini Swap 2015 --an effort to get all 50 states represented caused me to jump in for Washington State.

My partner for the swap was Barbara Townsend in New Hampshire ---hard to get much farther away, but her request was a mug rug or 2 if she could be greedy to use in her log cabin cottage as coasters. She preferred blues and browns but would love whatever came her way.

I was even more vague and said I didn't really care as I'd likely gift whatever I received to someone I know who is surviving cancer, but suggested something more modern vs. traditional.


Using foundation patterns for the Circle of Geese by Piece by Number (originally designed by Beth Maddocks and used in our book with her permission) from my co-authored book, You Can Quilt! Building Skills for Beginners, I decided to just do two quarters of the big square to create two separate mug rugs.





The teal fabric was provided as part of the swap. I added a Gelato Ombre in brown (available in my studio if you're interested along with several other colors) and was quite fussy about how I used it so that the valuation changed from dark to light (left to right), including the binding. The background was a simple Fresh Water Designs cream with small brown dots from the Quilter's Garden line. I used Thermore for the batting and quilted a scroll pattern in the geese and pebbles in the background. Geese threads were: A&E Tex 30 Scarab in the teal geese and YLI variegated Marbled Brownies in the brown geese. Background thread was A&E Tex 30 Dyed Natural. I only cut a 2" binding and applied it completely by machine -- its not perfect, but she said they were perfect for the cabin. YEAH! She might even make some more.
 
 
 
Back side.


My swap partner, Barbara Townsend, made this mini! Barbara says it is 'busy' for her taste, but she has done a great job. I couldn't resist taking this photo outside my studio on the hay bale with (ok they are obviously fake) fall leaves for decoration.


Teal is the symbolic color for Ovarian and Cervical Cancer and we're starting fall and so the orange and yellow really picks up on the time of year. Barbara uses her domestic machine to quilt and did a fabulous job quilting in the ditch. She used her signature piped binding as well which finished it off in a lovely way!

The froggies on some of the fabric is also used on the back and the sleeve. My former neighbor, Traci (shown on the right in the photo below) --a cancer survivor has family that lives in Milton-Freewater and their symbol is a frog....the town is often referred to as 'Muddy-Frogwater'.

Barbara really created a beautiful finished product that anyone would be happy to have as their own...I just might not be able to give it away, but when I saw the frog fabrics, I knew for sure who I wanted to give this mini too. Traci ran her 6th marathon this past weekend in Portland, OR and even ran a Personal Best. She is surviving well! It was 14 years ago this month that she was
diagnosed. I'm so honored to have had such a wonderful neighbor for many years and grateful her life has been so blessed.

She is active in raising awareness and funds to help those going through cancer. Most visibly in my former community, she is VP and Treasurer of J.U.G.S. (Just Us Girls Sharing).



So...my point of participating is that I love my friends and family dearly who have had anything to do with this type of cancer or any other 'teal' symbolized cancer and just want to show some support.

I hope you will enjoy seeing more of these swaps during a blog hop Oct. 12-16 or at the Facebook Page.

SPECIAL NOTES:
Oct. 7 - last post as part of the EQ7 Seasons RAL blog hop with a reveal using the Dogwood blocks that are available FREE via PDF Download through Oct. 12 

Oct. 9 I'm kicking off  a 4+ week Island Batik fabric blog hop showcasing their Fall Market releases featuring blocks from my book. Be sure to come back for that! There will be giveaways!!!!

Be healthy! 

1 comment: